Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Father's Love Letter

Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."




My ladies,

How are you? I hope the week is going well for you. With Father's Day coming up, I cannot help but think of the men who have contributed greatly to my life, especially my husband. He is my friend, my lover, my hero! I love him deeply. And while I have been blessed to find the love of my life who happens to also be an incredible father to our son, I haven't always felt so blissful about love or Father's Day.

Like many girls I was raised in a single parent home by my mother. I had so many questions: where's dad, why'd he leave, what's wrong with me? With all the love and attention that my mother gave me, I still managed to slip into the same reckless cycle that most young girls and women slip into: I searched desperately for someone to love me without provocation. I did that for half my life, subconsciously begging guys to love me, or at least say they loved me even if I knew deep down that they didn't have the capacity to do such. I struggled with issues of trust and abandonment, not really believing that anyone would stay around too long. That particular road was tough and brutal, but by the grace of God I managed to end the cycle that was quickly killing my spirit and begin dealing with some of the issues that I had repressed for my entire childhood.

At 19, I ended my long-term relationship and immersed myself in reading the "love letters" of my Father. During that time, I was reminded of my worth, my value, and my beauty. Even with all my issues and brokenness, I was able to find so much validation in His presence and in His word(s). :)

Essentially lovelies, I want the same for you---the same freedom to smile, to laugh, to love and to be loved. I want the same peace for you, knowing that in time the pain and the hurt will subside and you will have joy again.

YOU are beautiful and you DO NOT have to bend the rules, lower your standards, or change the game to receive ANY of this. Being YOU is really enough. Being YOU is beautiful. He sees it. He, being the one that created you in all your beauty and even in all your quirkiness. :) Be yourself sis and trust that the One in whom you believe, and for me that's Christ, will give you everything that you need and desire in this lifetime.

I encourage you to dig a little deeper, go a little further, read a few more of your Father's love letters and believe---as I did---that no one can love you more than the Father. But the man that is willing to die trying perhaps is the one that is worthy of YOU.

Smooches lovelies!
...hugs too!
Latasha

No comments: